Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wiccans: What's the earliest book on your shelf refuting Murray's Witch-Cult?

I was told recently that ''all books'' on Wicca until after Triumph of the Moon ''ALL'' agreed with Murray's Witch-Cult hypothesis.



I was also told that ALL Wiccans were ALL taught this until recently. Since I wasn't taught it back in the days of stirrup pants and hair mousse with glitter, and since the earliest book on my shelf refuting it is 1967, I'm just curious as to how anyone came up with this.....



Wiccans: What's the earliest book on your shelf refuting Murray's Witch-Cult?husqvarna



I will freely admit that whatever the opposite of a ''mind like a sponge'' is, that's what I have. So I'm really not sure what the earliest book I have might be. I know that when I started studying, I knew early that Murray had been discredited. That was around '95. If Nightwind says Uncle Bucky's has that info in it (surprising as that book has some bad history), then I have that book.



I don't know where I picked up the info. I had previously been under the impression that it was common knowledge that she was discredited in the mid 70s. But that info could be wrong - like I said... opposite sponge mind - I call it mind like a sieve.



Edit - I had to check because I didn't want my sieve mind to betray me. Stewart Farrar's What Witches Do criticizes both Murray's Witch Cult and the burning times notions. Published 1971 - I'm betting that's my earliest. It is a reprint, but that info is not in the updated preface so I'm guessing it's original.

No comments:

Post a Comment