Friday, August 20, 2010

Is anyone familiar with Trickle Down God theory? What do you THINK about it?

For those unfamiliar it goes something like this...



If God, being Omnipotent and unable to experience limitation which by definition limits him, he decides to create a universe where He can learn what it is like to be frustrated and to learn what it feels like to triumph over adversity. Then, big bang, God explodes creating the universe as we see it today, composed of the matter and energy that was God. Therefore we are all a part of God. I haven't decided whether or not I subscribe to this line of thinking myself, but it seems to make sense on the surface. Let me know what you THINK.



Is anyone familiar with Trickle Down God theory? What do you THINK about it?aurora



I must admit, I find the ''theory'' not quite convincing. But before I tell you why, or why it at least would need to be extended to fully make sense, let me quickly say that ''theology'' might be the better term to use here. A ''theory'' is usually falsifiable. At least in scientific (here including theology) circles.



The main problem I have with this approach is that God would not learn from this experience, since we are not aware of he fact that we are parts of an omnipotent God who has to learn about limitations. It seems to me, that the Trickle Down God would thus accept human (and animal) suffering for the sole, selfish purpose of his own learning experience. That requires a very negative view of God. Not exactly the same as your preferred gnostic concepts, but equally negative.

No comments:

Post a Comment